Hazardous Material Reporting

Businesses that handle hazardous materials are required by State law to submit a hazardous material business plan and inventory annually.  Many Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs) in California require business plans and inventories to be submitted in December or March.  State law (Health and Safety Code §25503.5) requires a business to establish and implement a business plan and annual inventory for emergency response to a release or threatened release of a hazardous material, if the business handles a hazardous material that has a quantity at any one time during the reporting year that is equal to, or greater than:

v    a total weight of 500 pounds or a

v    total volume of 55 gallons or

v    200 cubic feet of compressed gas.

Title 19 of the California Code of Regulations, § 2729 outlines the minimum standards for the business plans and inventories and specifies the state-mandated forms that must be used.  Each local CUPA has a complete set of forms that they require.